As loyal UMEA members know, we issued the 106th number of MIR
before the upcoming 20th IMEK, which takes place July 20-22, 2016 in the
Slovakian city Nitra with the theme “Physicians and Internationalism – what
kind of physicians are needed in our century?” This occasion prompts the
question: what is needed for UMEA to evolve along with IMEK and ultimately
MIR? We believe that the rich scientific program of the coming anniversary-
-the 20th IMEK presentation in English, Slovakian and Esperanto, with 19
presentations from 9 different nations–will help meet these requirements.
The planning and organization of the IMEK jubilee, in the tradition of this
arrangement, again provides an example of successful, cordial international
collaboration among physicians, a fine result of unselfish dedication of our
Slovakian colleagues and friends who are hosting us in their hospital.
We hope that the authors of papers will, after presentation, publish results
of their scientific and specialty work in the 107th issue of MIR, which will
appear in December, 2016.
For a successful 20th IMEK we ask our medical colleagues to prepare their presentations in Esperanto and send them to the Editor of MIR.
Concluding this editorial message, we proudly announce that, beginning
with the 106th issue of MIR, the Pharmaceutical Faculty of the Jagiellonian
University Medical College will be co-publisher of MIR. We celebrate this great
honor and are sure that the power of the oldest university in Poland, founded
in the 1364, will strengthen and improve our journal.
Vice Editor-in-chief Editor-in-chief
Dr. Christoph Klawe Associate Professor Włodzimierz Opoka
Table of Contents:
- Algae preparations as a source of beneficial healthy substances Jękot Barbara, Rzewińska Aleksandra, Hałaszuk Patrycja, Rojowski Jacek, Muszyńska Bożena (full text)
- Arachnoid cysts of Sylvian fissure in pediatric population – difficulties in qualification for surgical treatment Hałabuda Agata, Franczak-Young Anita, Klasa Łukasz, Wyrobek Łukasz, Kawecki Zdzisław, Kwiatkowski Stanisław (full text)
- A review of medications used for treatment of obesity Czopek Anna, Zagórska Agnieszka, Pawłowski Maciej (full text)
- Mycosteroles – characteristics and biological importance Sułkowska-Ziaja Katarzyna, Hałaszuk Patrycja, Mastej Małgorzta, Piechaczek Małgorzata, Muszyńska Bożena (full text)
- Tricholoma equestre species as a source of indole compounds and zinc released into artificial digestive juices Kała Katarzyna, Sułkowska-Ziaja Katarzyna, Rojowski Jacek, Opoka Włodzimierz, Muszyńska Bożena (full text)
- Sacred and magic – the ancient and the present of hallucinogenic mushrooms containing psilocybin and its derivatives Szelegieniec Joanna Helena, NowakSzymon Stanisław (full text)
- What is human being? The essential philosophical question as a supplementation of the natural scientifical medical education Bohrer Thomas, Link Pierre-Carl, Schmidt Michael, Königshausen Johann-Heinrich (full text)
- The concept of ‘vitanity’ as an alternative to the concept of humanism in the human sciences. On the necessity for a criticism of humanism based on a psychoanalytical and cultural theory Link Pierre-C. (full text)
- What kind of physicians does our century need? Considerations on the oath of Hippocrates in our time Kusters Ward (full text)